You may think that creating a mobile app is the same as creating an app for a desktop. You may think that focusing on “what to do” is enough when creating a mobile applications. You may think that the challenges that mobile application developers face are relatively simple. Well, if so, you’re wrong!
Mobile app development is very different from developing an app for a desktop or laptop. Also, it’s important to focus on “what not to do”, rather than on “what to do”. And the challenges faced by mobile developers are anything but simple. In this article, we’ll talk about the top 5 challenges faced by mobile-app developers. So, here goes…
1) Fitting everything into a small screen size: The screen size of a mobile starts at 3 inches and increases from there, whereas the screen size for a desktop usually ranges from 13 to 15 inches. What you see in those 13 inches cannot necessarily be easily placed on a mobile device. So, when creating a mobile applications, many developers have included only that which is absolutely necessary in their mobile-app. This is often called the minimalist approach.
2) Creating a mobile applications that allows for accuracy when users use their fingers to navigate: Most users will use their fingers to navigate, rather than a mouse pointer. This may compromise precision and accuracy. The User Interface (UI) should be designed keeping this in mind. This means that mobile application developers should ensure that the UI displays enlarged interaction points rather than the usual sizes.
3) Keeping memory and storage in mind when coding to create a mobile: With memory and hard drive space becoming increasingly affordable, memory allocation has now moved to the background where app development is concerned. However, due to their small size, apps do not have a vast amount of memory, battery life and hard drive space. Mobile application developers should constantly keep memory and storage in mind when coding and creating apps.
4) Optimizing layout and flow of the mobile: Due to the small screen size that they’re playing around with, mobile app developers need to create multiple screens and a navigation system, instead of fitting everything onto a single screen.
5) Providing a superior user experience: If your user experience is not enjoyable and easy, the chances are, your users will never download your app. Also, more importantly, they may talk to others regarding their experience and these word-of-mouth reviews can make or break your mobile application. If you want a user experience for your mobile applications like no other, you may have to hire a user experience and interface expert. You can either create your app in-house, or then, hire an app development companythat specializes in building user-friendly mobile-apps.
So, now you know all about the top 5 challenges faced by mobile app developers. There are several other challenges that app developers face as they embark on their difficult journey to create a cutting-edge and widely used mobile app.
Do keep these in mind, whether you’re developing a mobile-app in-house, or then, outsourcing the mobile-app-development process to an expert.